Tuesday 3 September 2013

Neat vs Organised

Spring is here! Yippee!! And with Spring comes a surge of motivation for people to Spring Clean and organise their homes. Here is a little nugget of advice - have a realistic expectation of what you are trying to achieve.

spring, spring clean, spring cleaning, getting organised, declutter, decluttering

One of the comments I hear the most from people when I tell them what I do for a living is "your house must be beautiful / perfect / look like a show home", to which I always respond "I wish!". A family lives in my home - more specifically, a tornado disguised as a 5 year old boy lives in my home. And I have much better things to do with my time than follow him around with a vacuum cleaner all day. So no, my home does not resemble a magazine spread. It is, however, organised.

"Neat" does not necessarily equate to "organised". You can have a very neat pile of papers on the corner of your nice clean desk, but that pile could contain everything from your child's artwork to an overdue bill that you've forgotten about - and is therefore not organised. Being organised is about having a system in place to allow you to live and work well in your space. This may not look very neat and tidy, but that's ok, as long as it serves you well. I have worked with very creative clients and artists who think very differently to how I do, and their "organised" looks very different to mine, but it serves them well (and much better than my way would work for them) as they know where everything is and can work well in their space.

So as long as you have a place for everything, and everything is in its place (most of the time!) you're doing well. Don't strive for unattainable goals - it's just disheartening.  Have a Happy Spring :)

No comments:

Post a Comment